The mild flavors of Spanish Onions and fresh tarragon complement the mushrooms in this creamy, robust bisque by Chef Zack Bruell.
- 3 pounds (1.3 kg) crimini mushrooms
- 1 pound (455 g) unsalted butter
- 2 Spanish onions, peeled, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 Tablespoons (30 g) fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 Idaho potato, peeled, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons (30 g) dried porcini powder
- 2 cups (480 ml) Madiera
- 8 cups (1.9 l) chicken broth
- 8 cups (1.9 l) heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- croutons, for garnish
- shaved Parmesan, for garnish
- olive oil
- Clean and slice mushrooms; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large-size stockpot.
- Add onions, garlic, and tarragon and cook until translucent.
- Add mushrooms, potatoes, and porcini powder and cook until totally soft.
- Deglaze with Madeira and reduce fully.
- Add chicken stock and cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add heavy cream and reduce slightly.
- Place 1/4 of the mixture into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds. Repeat blending process with remaining batches. Pass blended soup through a sieve, if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with croutons, shaved Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||45 g|
|Saturated Fat||28 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
What are the quenelles in this soup?
It seems we had the wrong photograph for this recipe previously!
Date published: 2016-10-05
This makes a lot of soup! Seems like a restaurant recipe. Will is turn out well if I half the recipe? Can I freeze it because there is only two of us?
Yes this recipe was submitted by Chef Zach Bruell in Cleveland Ohio. I would quarter it and that should be good for two of you with a little leftover.
Date published: 2017-04-02